You don’t know what are you doing with your life?
Maybe you need a dose of Schadenfreude from a quirky girl (ukrainian accent comes as a bonus) that is good at making bad life decisions?
Then order now!…
Yeah, well, then I have a Youtube channel I guess. You know, one of the billions and billions. And the best thing, you can watch it.
You know how to do the thing, probably. So do the thing. And by that, I mean: watch and comment and subscribe. And be an unfunctional part of society, because pfff, why not?
Also, people who read this, because they’re beautiful humans (or cats, IDK), who follow my tumblr, reblog this and receive a badge of eternal love for free ♡(*´∀｀*)人(*´∀｀*)♡
- Thackery: (answers phone) whoever the hell this is, go to hell.
First of all, let’s see what software do we need for this task:
1. Photoshop (duh). You can use whatever version you have. I am using my favourite one: CS3.
2. KMPlayer. For creating frames. It’s really easy to create continuous series of screenshots in KMPlayer. And it’s free. And it’s a really cool player overall.
Now that we have our software, let’s make screenshots.
1) Open your video in KMPlayer and find a moment you want to turn into a gif.
2) Click right mouse button and choose “Capture” from the drop-down menu.
- In Frame:Extract tab I suggest you change the prefix of extracted screenshots to something you will recognise, because if you’re gonna make a lot of screenshots from different moments, it may be a pain in the ass.
- Change “Numbers to Extract” to Continuously
- Set Frames to Extract to “2 every # frame” for short moments or very fast/sudden movement OR “3 every # frame” for slow movements, dialogues. You can also use “4 every # frame” if you have a long moment, that you want to gif.
- Try to keep your frames count between 10 and 25 for each gif. It also depends on the type of image, its colour palette and stuff. Some gifs are over 1 mb with 18 frames, and some can be 30 frames long and weigh ~900kb.
- You can set Size to Extract to Original Size or Specified Size, it doesen’t really matter. If you are gonna use the whole image in your gif I recommend setting Size to Extract to 500px in width, because on tumblr the dashboard size is 500px, so it’s optimal.
4) Now press Start and then play your video. If you did everything right the frame count will start.
Note: You don’t have to play the whole video, you can play only the moment you want to gif (I’m sorry for being obvious, but I actually didn’t know that, when I first started, so.)
5) Now close KMPlayer and open Adobe Photoshop. Go to Files => Scripts => Load Files into Stack and you choose your frames there and Photoshop will load them into one file as multiple layers.
6) Go to Window => Animation and this will open the animation tab. Also open Actions tab, we will need it later. Now your workspace should look something like this, but in your language
(I totally forgot that my Photoshop was in Russian, ahaha)
7) Now, EDITING.
- First of all, I like to sharpen the image by using Filter => Sharpen => Sharpen. You need to put Sharpening on each layer individually, so you can either (a) Put Sharpening on one layer as usual and then use Ctrl+F shortcut on each layer to duplicate this action (b) you can assign a shortcut for Sharpen in Edit => Keyboard Shortcuts
- After this, you might wanna color correct your gif. Which you can do by creating Adjestment Layers in Layer => New Adjustment Layer or by simply installing and using cool actions that use Adjustment Layers.
- I HIGHLY RECOMMEND dowloading Instant Hipster - 10 Retro Actions. I use them for GIFs all the time and they look really cool. They’re basically Instagram filters that you can apply to your gif.
- Also, you can download 17 Stunning Color FX by Justthisgood. There is a really nice vignette effect that you can use.
8) Now that you have your adjustment layers created, opacity set and it looks great, you can create subtitles to your gif if you need them. I recommend using Regular Italic Arial for those purposes, but you can choose your own font, of course, I am not your mother :D
9) Now you need to create frames. You can do that by clicking tiny button in the right top corner of Animation tab () and choosing Create frames from layers option.
10) Delete all the frames you don’t need from the timeline, like the ones with the adjustment layers and text.
11) Now pick all the layers either by holding SHIFT button and clicking the first and the last frame or click the drop down menu at the corner of the Animation tab and click “Select All Frames”.
12) While all the frames are selected make your adjustment layers and text visible in the layers tab and they will apply to all frames.
13) (All frames are still selected) Set your frame rate: click the little black arrow under the first frame and select one of the option in the drop-down menu. I recommend something between 0.1-0.13 seconds.
NOTE: For some reason GIFs are slittly faster once you upload them on tumblr and view them in browser, that’s why in Photoshop you should make your GIFs look a little bit slower than you actually want them to be.
14) Go to Files => Save for Web and Devices
15) At the bottom of the tab you will see the size of your gif. If it’s under 1 Mb - great, if it’s not, you have to Optimize your GIF.
16) To reduce the size of your gif, you’ll probably need to lower its quality.
- First of all, you can set lossy value to something between 0-12 and will not look bad.
- If your gif size is still above 1Mb consider deleting some frames.
- You can also reduce the size by reducing the width/height, but that’s your last resort.
17) Save your gif.
I hope this was helpful, craighuge and other people who read this. NOW GO AND CREATE STUFF.
If you have any questions, just ask me, I’ll be happy to answer ( ˘ ³˘)❤
I really like this book and I think it’s super helpful, but I cannot get through it, because I have it in digital format. And this, once again, shows just how much I hate to read books on my computer.
Tom Cleary: Do penguins ever just want to go for a good poke?
Sister Harriet: Oh, we get curious. But then they show us a photograph
of your sorry face and we all run right back into the arms of God.
Your ugly mug’s responsible for more girls staying virgins
than the chastity belt.
- I’m sorry but even 5 minutes of Barrow is too much Barrow. I like that the characters’ screentimes are balanced, but if we must focus an episode on someone from The Knick, please, anyone but the corrupt, mafia-controlled director who dreams of running away with a girl he pays to bear his presence. He’s already been established as a sleaze. We know.
- Harry and Cleary, the intrepid abortion duo, are now my favorites (I also finally made the connection that Harriet donates the money from the abortions to the orphanage).
- Aww, Thack repeating Edwards’ explanation, look at his conservative racist heart slowly melting.
- She’s just not that into you, Bertie, and it makes me sad too.
- My heart breaks for baby Lillian, but I kind of lol’ed at the sequence of scenes of Thack going: “Oh no, a baby’s dying … wait, look, is that a bicycle?” (though of course they were going for the whole freedom from all worries aspect of riding one).
- And what the hell happened in Nicaragua?
“Oh no, a baby’s dying … wait, look, is that a bicycle?”
This is exactly what I thought about this scene. I liked it for the Elkins and Thackery chemistry though. Such cuties.
I’d love to know how to create GIFS, I’ve used photoshop for years but never made/ had the time to create…
Okay, sure, I will help you. I’ll make a how-to and post it today or tomorrow X)
Yes, of course, write me a non-anonymous ask and we’ll talk about that X)